A few years ago, I became obsessed with reliving my childhood since adulthood turned out to be such a drag. So I began to buy the video games of my youth; Super Mario World and Crazy Taxi 2 to name a few.
Long story short… I spent a lot of money on Amazon back in 2014.
$1800 to be in fact.
This was the year I realized online shopping was taking over the way we purchase products. Like countless others, I developed an obsession with purchasing everything under the sun on Amazon.
Well I’m here to tell you that instead of just giving your money to Amazon, you can also get a piece of the pie… the $177 billion dollar a year pie. Today I’m gonna show you how to make money Amazon, also known as the #1 eComm store in the world.
Why Amazon Though?
That’s a very good question.
If you’ve been doing affiliate marketing for quite some time, then you know that the higher the commission payout, the more money you make. Which is why so many digital entrepreneurs that do affiliate marketing are so put off by Amazon’s low commission payout.
But here’s the thing.
With Amazon, you are almost guaranteed a sale when people click on your affiliate links because it’s a known brand. It’s a brand that they trust. While some affiliate programs pay up to 75% commissions, your visitors are more likely to pull out their credit cards and purchase something from Amazon without hesitation.
Believe me I know because I’m the same way.
Not to worry though because commissions start off at 1% and can go all the way up to 10%. It may not sound like much but earning a 6% commission on a product that costs $2,000 without having to own it or ship it sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Especially if you multiply that by 100 or even more. It all depends on the amount of traffic you’re getting.
Plus there are incentives like bounty prizes for getting Amazon Prime and Amazon video sign ups.
Let’s not forget that because it’s the world’s largest internet retailer, there’s no limit to what you can find. As an affiliate marketer, this means that no matter your niche, you can leverage the power of Amazon to monetize your website or blog. Whether your niche is basketball or dogs; there’s bound to be a product on Amazon you can promote that is relevant to your niche.
Best of all… Amazon’s affiliate program has 24 hour cookies which means if one of your visitors makes any purchase on Amazon within 24 hours of clicking on your link, you get that commission! And it doesn’t even matter if it’s not the original product you were promoting.
Getting Started with Amazon Associates
The first step to make money with Amazon Associates is becoming an affiliate or associate. Head on over to Amazon.com and scroll all the way to the bottom.
Once there, click on “Become an Affiliate” and fill out the form.
If your website is brand spanking new and you haven’t created any content, Amazon might deny you access into the program. Do not let this discourage you! All you have to do is try again in two months.
In order to avoid this issue from the start, make sure your website is set up for success before you sign up for Amazon Associates. My post on setting up your blog should help you get on the right track.
Once you’ve been approved, you will receive a user id/tracking code and you’re good to go!
How to Make Money on Amazon
The key to leveraging the Amazon Associates program is by providing value to your visitors. By creating product reviews or recommending relevant products, you connect your readers to the products that they need; products that will help them solve an issue or facilitate their lives.
So there’s two methods.
The First is to Create Product Reviews
Product reviews are great because people are being a lot more cautious before making big purchases. The best way to do this is to be as well-informed as possible about a product before making a decision.
Find a product that’s relevant to your niche and do some research. It’s actually even better if you own the product because it provides a more personal experience that allows you to connect even further with your audience.
Once you’ve found your product, find the perfect keyword so that your review gets ranked in the search engines, and write your review. Make sure you’re thorough and explain how the product works, how big it is, and who it’s perfect for.
At the end of the review, just include an affiliate link which you grab from the Amazon Associates page and get as much traffic to it as possible.
If you’re not big on writing, you can also just post a video on YouTube where you review the product or provide a demonstration of you using the product. Then just provide your affiliate link in the video description box and you’re good to go!
The Second is to Recommend A Product
There is a difference between reviewing a product and recommending a product. When it comes to recommending products, they’re usually not the focal point of your blog posts; they just help enhance the user experience.
For example, I created a “how-to” blog post on my food blog that teaches my readers how to make rice. I created a valuable piece of content and included a recipe. Then at the end of my post, I recommended a relevant product which would obviously make the cooking rice experience a lot better, a rice cooker.
That’s all there is to it.
Tips for Success
Now that you know how to make money on Amazon Associates, I’m gonna share with you a few tips that are gonna take your affiliate marketing business to the next level.
1. Use images. We live in a visual era. While it’s important to provide thorough content, adding images to your product reviews will liven up your post and increase the chances of your visitors clicking through your links and even making purchases. Why? Well because you’ve given them an idea of what the product looks like.
2. Take advantage of bonuses. Amazon has several bonuses throughout the year; as well as incentives. One of those is promoting their line of products like Alexa and Amazon Echo. The commission payouts for these products tend to be a little higher. Also, look into promoting their monthly subscription like Amazon Prime and Amazon Video; they’ll pay you $3 per sign up!
3. Use Native Shopping Ads. Native shopping ads is a banner your create and then add to your website. All it does is advertise products that are relevant to your niche. Let’s say you have a photography website, your Native shooping ads should be advertising cameras and lenses.
4. Keep major holidays in mind. Although Amazon makes a nice chunk of change every day, there’s obviously times of the year when shopping is in demand; like the holidays. So make sure that during this time of the year, you are doing everything in your power to drive more traffic to your website to increase your chances of success and getting some sales. This includes Christmas, Black Friday, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day to name a few.
5. Don’t click on your own affiliate links. I know sometimes we surprise ourselves with how awesome our content is, but you need to be careful about clicking on your own affiliate links. Remember that cookies stick to your browser for 24 hours so if you click on your link, then head back to Amazon and buy an iPhone charger, chances are you’re violating their Terms of Service.
6. Shorten your links or use clickable text. Have you seen affiliate links? They’re disgusting! If I saw a real affiliate link on website, I wouldn’t click it because I’d be scared it’ll lead to getting hacked or something. Amazon lets you shorten their links; but I recommend just converting them to clickable text like: “CLICK HERE”.
Now it’s Your Turn
Believe me when I say that even though the commissions on Amazon are relatively low, they do add up. At one point, the majority of my online income was coming from the Amazon Associate program and it wasn’t all that bad. The reason I stress this is that I wasn’t even getting that much traffic to begin with, but those cookies sure do help.
And if I can do it, why can’t you?
Whether you’re just starting your affiliate marketing business or you’ve been doing it for quite some time, I highly recommend becoming an Amazon Associate. The Amazon Associate program is a huge factor in My Millionaire Quest and I truly believe it’s gonna take your business to the next level as well.
If you have any questions about learning how to make money on Amazon or would like to share your favorite affiliate programs, leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
See you at the top,